12.11.2009

Exposed

A few nights ago, Kevin and I went for a walk. It had been raining and the ground was wet. As we walked along we spotted countless worms just wriggling their way across the sidewalk and street. It's such a curious thing to see these dirt dwellers willingly expose themselves to a foreign territory... outside of their natural protection of the ground.

As I'm watching all of these worms slide across the concrete and gather in small clumps, trying not to step on any, all I could think was 'there is something about the water they love!' It's as though the moisture in the ground doesn't compare to the feeling of just pure water on their skin, so much so that they expose themselves to dangerous elements such as pedestrians, cars, and birds. After some research, I found that coming out of the dirt when it rains makes it easier for them to breathe. (Worms breathe through their skin by a gas exchange. They have a mucous on their skin that allows this gas exchange to happen. They can breathe easier squirming across a wet ground in the rain than they can in moist dirt. Thus, they surface during rain.)

So, I've decided I live like a worm. I feel comfortable in my little dirt hole. I can hide things down there... dirty things that no one can see. I can squirm around and create my own little space amongst my sin and no one can see beyond the surface unless they dig... dig real deep.

But then it rains. The Holy Spirit pours down and begins to seep through that dirt... those sins I've packed away, and man does it feel good. It feels so good I want more. I'm drawn to the fresh feeling of His presence. So, I push upward into Him. Next thing I know I'm coming out of my dirty little hole... covered in dirt, but He continues to rain down and gently wash away my sins. There I am, exposed, but I breathe clearly. I'm outside of my comfort zone and the home I've made for myself, yet I've never felt quite this good before. It's so freeing.

I'm exposed and vulnerable, but so are all the others who chose to push through the dense, dark grime they've been living in for the pure feeling on His presence. That's when we draw close together as a community. We have nothing but God and each other to keep ourselves clean.

Every now and then I have this desire to dive back into that dirt and start digging a new hole, but then I remember how awesome His presence is, I don't get very far before I come back out.

John 4:13-14 Jesus answered and said to her, Whoever drinks of this water shall thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst, but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

I'll see you in the rain.

2 comments:

  1. I love worms, and I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the BEST!! love how your brain works & how you relate worms & what the Spirit is doing in your life. heart you.
    ~Jenny M

    ReplyDelete